Meet Our Team
Meet our personal and compassionate team of three who will guide you along with your surgery…
Clin. Prof Mark Sywak
Clin. Prof Mark Sywak is a specialist Endocrine Surgeon focused on the treatment of patients with thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal problems. He performs over 500 endocrine surgery procedures per year.
He is a graduate of the University of Sydney Medical School and a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Dr Sywak is Head of the Department of Endocrine and Oncology Surgery at Royal North Shore Hospital and a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Sydney. He has a strong interest in thyroid cancer research and is heavily involved in surgical training as the Supervisor of Surgical Training for the Northern Sydney rotation of the College of Surgeons.
- Minimally invasive parathyroid surgery
- Thyroidectomy and minimally invasive thyroid surgery
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Thyroid and parathyroid ultrasound
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Master of Medicine Clinical Epidemiology (MMed) 2009
- University of Sydney Medical School (MBBS) 1992
- Medical Board of Australia
- Fellow in Endocrine Surgery and Surgical Oncology, University of Calgary and Tom Baker Cancer Center, Canada 2001-2003
- Specialty training in General Surgery Royal North Shore Hospital 1997-2000
- Australian Endocrine Surgeons
- American Associations of Endocrine Surgeons
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Asian Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine
- Australian Medical Association
- North Shore Private Hospital
- Mater Hospital North Sydney
- Royal North Shore Hospital
- Northern Beaches Hospital
- Supervisor of Surgical training for Northern Sydney rotation of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Head of Department of Endocrine and Oncology Surgery Royal North Shore Hospital
- Head of General Surgery Department North Shore Private Hospital
- Convenor of Endocrine Section, 81st Annual Scientific Congress Royal
- Australasian College of Surgeons, Kuala Lumpur, May 2012
- Invited Speaker Asian Association of Endocrine Surgeons Scientific Meeting, Singapore March 2012
- Invited Speaker Asian and Oceania Thyroid Association Congress, October 2012
Dr Alex Papachristos
Dr Alex Papachristos is a specialist Endocrine and General Surgeon. After completing surgical training in 2019, he undertook subspecialty training in endocrine surgery at the prestigious University of Sydney Endocrine Surgery Unit, under the mentorship of Professor Stan Sidhu, Clin. Prof Mark Sywak and A/Prof Anthony Glover and explored an interest in minimally invasive adrenal surgery. In addition to endocrine surgery, Alex performs acute general surgery at both Royal North Shore Hospital and Dubbo Base hospital. Outside his clinical work, Alex is actively involved in translational research and is currently exploring novel therapeutic options in advanced thyroid cancer.
Meet Shannon – Medical PA
Shannon is ready to assist and guide our patients through the appointments and treatments with her positive and bubbly personality.
For specialists in thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgery, contact Sydney Endocrine Surgery by clicking here.